Saturday, November 5, 2011

Stephen Fry and Me

The life of Mr Stephen Fry could hardly be more different from that of my own, yet reading his two autobiographies, I found he explained my inner most thoughts and feelings far better than I ever could. It was almost as if we were somehow separated at birth, separated by some 24 years and 16,800 kilometres, but none the less, I felt a connection.

The first instalment Moab is my washpot covers the first 20-years of his life and does so, like all his writings, with fantastic honesty and brilliant eloquence. It is this honesty more than anything that captivates, giving insight into the deepest thoughts and emotions of growing up long since forgotten by most.

The follow up Fry Chronicles follows Stephen out of prison and into the beginnings of the illustrious career he is so well know for but through all the name dropping and story telling, overwhelming honesty still prevails.

I have come to the conclusion that, take away the age difference, sexual preference, education and celebrity status, we are one and the same. I have found a kindred spirit and an insight into my own life that I can only hope to one day express my gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment