Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Web kindness...

So here we are.  We find ourselves one week into the world of blogging, well done.  In all, quite a positive experience and to my amazement some are actually reading what I have to say!  This is the most mind boggling part I must say.

Some reflections and observations that I have from spending far too much time on social networking sites were, indeed, unexpected.  Mainly the nature of how people interact, and more importantly, how easy it can be for some (definitely not all) to be negative with their interactions with others.

It seems to me, though I fear I may have already known it, that people in cyberland will post comments to a complete stranger in a manner they would never dream of speaking to their face.  Now anyone who knows me, knows that I'm all for passionate debate, but I fear that in the modern digital world we have forgotten the art of doffing ones hat to a passerby, and remarking with a kind gesture how smashing one looks today.

So my little web-lings this is where you come in.  I would like you, as you walk down digital sidewalks, to doff your digital hats to passersby.  I guess you could call it Pay it forward, web 2.0.  This could happen in any number of ways, a comment on someone's blog or sharing the site of someone who, in your opinion, is doing great work.  Be creative, be kind!

I would also like to hear your stories of how someone out there has brightened your day with a little encouragement.  Feel free to share these below.

Now, go out into the world, share some of your kindness with those you meet, re-post, re-tweet and show some web kindness...

11 comments:

  1. It can definitely be scary sharing your writing or work online. This is a lovely idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely words today Brett, :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My you look smashing today Bretty boy :-)

    But seriously, great idea. I will do my utmost to partake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for those lovely words today Brett, I shall take it on board and give it a consious effort.

    love reading your blog xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really well written, Brett, well done.
    So very true that some people think they can say anything to complete strangers - or even people they know - hiding behind the world wide web, things they would never say to their faces. I know I stopped playing online canasta because of rude people that would make inappropriate and horrible comments to me whilst playing, completely unnecessary. On the other hand, many people (mostly friends, occasionally strangers) have said happy things in response to things I've posted that have put a smile on my face many times (can't think of a specific example right now), so there is kindness out there. Hopefully everyone will follow your example and take this onboard, it's a great initiative.
    Again, well done, I know I'll be "Paying it Forward web 2.0" style!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I was having a conversation with this guy I know about this very topic at the footy on Sunday. His name was....oh hang on that was you :) well done buddy! Now I shall wish you good day, you smashing chap and will go forth and comment positively to all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. passing by, and saying hi... hope you've been getting wet?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brett, you worded it perfectly.
    ~Paying it forward, Web 2.0~

    I have seen so much rudeness on the net from people that I would never dream of badmouthing myself.
    It seems certain beings use the net, like a burglar uses a balaclava. Type what they please and hide with anonymity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep, can be mighty hard to foster some positivity in this world. I used to blog a whole great deal and ended up giving up... anyway, I'm all up with your positive vibes - AI!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for all the positive feedback guys. It is good to know there are others out there who feel the same. Now get out there and start doffing...

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is sad when it's not only strangers who say things that cut, but those you consider friends. I will try and be kind online...then I might work on real life too... ha ha. Tim and Danni you crack me up - there, I've started already...

    ReplyDelete